Friday, May 2, 2014

Idyllwild to Big Bear

Coming out of Idyllwild refreshed and with new shoes (switched to Salomon XR Missions), I headed up several thousand feet from town. I wanted to summit San Jacinto and even though it was cloudy, it was very worthwhile. 
The sky cleared over patches of sky allowing me to see the desert down below. After the peak it is a down hill, a very long 21 miles of nothing but down hill.
The group I am hiking with decided to break it up into two days so we could give our knees a break. That meant a dry camp off of Fuller Ridge. It was a brutal next day of exposed terrain with no water. Some of the people ran out before they got to the water fountain below. The benefits of hiking with a group are you can always scrape together some water so we all donated a little and got them to water thirsty but alright.
The views were gorgeous. Exposed could be PCT code for the best views you can get. I knew it would be beautiful, but this is beyond what I expected. 

I stopped at Ziggy and the Bears for a Gatorade, coffee, water, and to sign in the log. I am hiker #222. The section from the wind mill farm to first mission creek campsite was reminiscent of the Sound of Music. I can't even explain how nice it was to see that much running water in one day. 
The campsite above Mission Creek was cold. I'm glad I had my 15D bag. The next day I camped right before my personal record for the farthest I have walked. Then the next day walking into Big Bear, I passed my record with some amazing views as prizes.
I got into Big Bear just before the snow storm and waited it out in town with fresh donuts. Yum.



No comments:

Post a Comment