Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The End is Nigh!

maps k, l

I think if I were looking for a vacation and I came across a place called Glacier Peak Wilderness, I would have heavenly dreams until I arrived. What could be better than alpine lakes, glaciers, and rock? I'm unsure. Reading the description on wilderness.net made me sentimental for my exploring days in CO; "bodies of water include more than 200 lakes, many unnamed and tremendously difficult to access, in various cirques and hidden basins." It is also a climbers haven. I might just stay here for a bit hoping to meet up with a buddy of mine who may be climbing in the area.

North Cascades National Park is glacier after glacier; 318 or so actually. All beautiful but also it will be sad. These landscapes are disappearing quickly, but that makes me all the more anxious to enjoy them while I can. here

Okanogan National Forest is the second largest NF that is completely in one county after Nez Perce National Forest in Idaho. The western side of the forest is wetter than the dry eastern side. The majority of the forested area is Lodgepole pines.

Hiking through WA we get to Cananda. Into that place we have all heard of, Manning Park. The park is named after Ernest Callaway Manning, Chief Forester from the 1930s to 41 when he died in a plane crash. He was apparently inspirational in encouraging British Columbians to set aside land for the enjoyment of future generations. I say apparently because I have not done much research on figuring out whether that statement is true. Manning park has a resort that is heavily trafficked by visitors world wide. Here is a history of manning park if you are interested.

Rock Climbing:
SO this is all the climbing we will pass in WA on the PCT.
Bridge of the Gods Boulders I hope to be better at bouldering by this point because the easiest problems are V4 and up to V12. Stretch Arm is a V5 problem there that looks so much fun.
Mount Adams will probably be added to my side trips.
Tieton River there is a 5.10 route there named the Saint of Circumstance that looks like a fun, hover hung crux.
Snoqualmie Pass has a few routes that I can go without rope so that seems fun.
There is a 5.8 traverse on Guye Peak.
That's all for now folks! More gear talk to be had in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment