Sunday, February 2, 2014

February Food Focus

I want to start looking at some food options for the trail. This month I hope to try out some new recipes or even just figure out which snacks I like for trail fuel.
I think it's important to start the conversation with a little preference background. I eat healthfully. I like organic, I am a meat eater and an avacado and egg sandwich is my favorite breakfast. I love veggies and all things green. My food life would be meaningless without kale and I have a hard time liking super sweet foods.
I also have a very fast metabolism. Instead of trying to loose weight for the trail I am trying to gain about 10-15lbs. I've been given crap for this my whole life, how I'm so lucky I don't have to worry about weight, but unfortunately that just isn't true. I have to worry about getting too thin. I will have to fight it the whole time I'm on the trail and will have to carry double the food. Especially for a women, you really can't let yourself get below a certain weight. I know it's not a super common problem, but it is a concern of mine.
Calorie dense, a mix of healthy and unhealthy, and a lot of variety is what I am looking for in trail food. Also...I'm allergic to nuts. All of them. So trail snacks are a bit harder to come by.
I'm also going to carry a stove, so my meals will be a mix of cold and hot. 
Alright cool, let's eat.

2 comments:

  1. And, what sounds good at home might be hard to choke down on Day 30. On my 2 long sections I hated what I sent myself but loved my friend's yogurt pretzels. who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you couldn't be more correct. I feel like hiking sometimes is like elementary school where we all used to swap lunches. The grass is always greener underneath someone else's bear vault.

      Delete