Thursday, June 12, 2014

Forrester Pass to Tuolumne Meadows

I've been so bad about updating my blog in the Sierra's that I feel like I can't even remember what happened.
The High Sierra's are tough. We hit them feeling strong from the desert and concurred 20 miles a day for the first few days with a plan of summiting Whitney and getting from Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth Lakes in 12 days. That is a massive carry. With over 37,000ft elevation gain. My pack was the heaviest I have ever packed it.
I'm proud to say that I made it 10 days. The breaking point wasn't snow covered Glen Pass (view of Rae Lakes pictured below) but the day we did Pinchot and Mather in the same day. Pinchot was not difficult as long as you navigated I correctly, but it took longer than expected to get from Pinchot to Mather. Starting the climb later in the day, Mather was a steep scree field. The backside was a postholing mess. We made it down and to the first campsite wet, exhausted, hungry (we were running low on food), and 5 miles short of out mileage goal. The next day we came to the realization that we couldn't make it to Muir Pass before the snow would turn too soft. This would add another day to the trip. Food wise, we couldn't make it. I was already suffering from symptoms of altitude sickness. I was dizzy, low energy, unable to breath with ease. We bailed out through Bishop Pass. 
Not to be dramatic, but whether it was the lack of food or the altitude or just exhaustion I had to concentrate on every step. I have been backpacking my whole life, running long distances, sea kayaked, climbed until I felt like I couldn't move anymore and this was the worst I have ever felt. I decided at the advice of my partner to take a week off of trail.

Once we headed back to trail, I felt strong again. Crushing the section from Bishop to Tuolomne Meadows.
Leaving King Canyon we headed into the land of the lakes and mosquitos. 
I decided to finish the John Muir Trail as well. After which I took several days of to visit friends in San Fransisco. I know it's not typical to take so much time off, but I needed to harden my motivation and give my body a break. This just can't become a job. For me, this is not a race, it's about enjoying the outdoors. Anytime that I am not doing that, I will stop and take a break until I can love it all again.

(Above it Cathedral Peak on the JMT)

No comments:

Post a Comment