Sunday, February 23, 2014

Food: Aussie Bite, first attempt

I am a supporter of homemade goods. If I can make it at the skill that I need then I will. Homemade chalk bag, homemade purses, patching clothes, homemade blankets, homemade moccasins; you get the idea. So I am going to make as much of my food from scratch as possible. This morning that meant making my first batch of Aussie bites. Sure, you can buy these calorie packed snacks in bulk at Costco, but at home I can control the flavor and the ingredients.
Recipe I loosely used. Loosely because they seemed too dry so I added 3 tbs of milk. Next time I am going to try adding some coconut milk and use coconut oil and butter (1/2 and 1/2) instead of just butter. I just guessed how much coconut to put in because we don't have cans of dried coconut and I don't have anything to measure oz accurately. I think I put in about 1/3 of a cup. For dried fruit I put in cranberries and raisins. It's what I had in the cabinet.
The results? They turned out rather well.  A little crumbly but rather delicious. I think they make my stomach a bit sore though. I will have to confirm this later.



No comments:

Post a Comment