Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Food; Taking a Note from the Mission to Mars

When they were doing tests for the mission to Mars teams, they found out that the only way people could withstand having the same food for that long of a trip wasn't having a variety of packaged food. It was by having ingredients on hand that they could prepare into meals themselves. It seems like such a simple idea, but being in control of you diet is key to long term happiness both on a space ship and on the trail. I'm not saying I will be making all my meals, but rather I will have a bunch of fast, pre made food and a bunch of ingredients so I can make whatever I'm craving.
Last night there was an ice storm and it is snowing outside and I don't work today. So it seemed like a good day to sit back and order some food.
In the freezer dried category I bought spinach, broccolli, raspberries, strawberries, peas, and asparagus.
In the dried category I bought Genmai Miso, wild blueberries, wild mixed berries, cranberries, montmorency tart cherries, apricots, mangos, peaches, pineapple rings and shallots.
In the seed category I bought roasted pumpkin seeds and soy nuts.
In the grain category I bought puffed quinoa.
Along with some spices, sun dried tomatoes, oatmeal, couscous, instant rice, meat and some other essentials I think this will make for some pretty good feasting. I obviously love fruit. I eat so much of it on the trail that I know buying it in somewhat bulk (not 10lbs or anything) will save me money in the end. Plus I can afford mostly organic if I buy online.
I'm planning on making all my breakfasts and dinners on the trail from my mail drops and resupplying most of my snacks from local stores in towns. This way I won't get tired of any one snack and I get to support local business without giving up my veggie and fruit intense diet.
It's fun to be at this stage of planning. I'm getting permits and ordering food so I can start making my mail drop boxes. The day is fast approaching...
I want to also share a treat I have been eating to gain weight before the trail.
Honey Soynut butter spread on top of my aunt's homemade chocolate chip cookies. If this doesn't make my body happy, I'm just not sure what will.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, dried miso, good idea! I am going to try that with my "asian style" dehydrated rice and veggie meals I am making.

    ReplyDelete