Sunday, February 16, 2014

Food: Well actually water.

This week Obama went to SoCal and asked for aid to farmers during the drought. My parents recently hiked part of the PCT around Agua Dulce and notified me that it is brutally dry. My plan of attack is to leave for the trail 3 weeks earlier than I had originally planned (that's why I'm working 52 hours a week now, make up for lost cash) and carry more water than I had originally planned and in smaller containers.
I don't want to have something burst on me and then loose 2-3L of a vital resource. I'm carrying several 1L water bladders and containers. I'm thinking 7L as my max capacity. I have a Sawyer squeeze and Aqua Mira as my water purification, but for the first 700 or so miles I'm thinking of carrying my Katadyn hiker filter for those extra scummy and small water sources. I'm still debating this shift. It might not be worth the weight, or it might make my life so much easier.
Most of my dinners that I am planning require water. Some more than others. I am not usually an obsessive planner, I have enough experience to know nothing ever goes according to obsessive plans, but I must admit I'm being a bit OCD about water. I'm going the PCT Water Report and adding each reliable source into my resupply excel sheet. I'm creating ETA's for each water source so I know which days I will have less water. I am doing this not only to get comfortable with my water sources, but also to know what type of food to send myself for that leg of the journey. A little crazy? Probably. Useful? We will see I guess. Only one way to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment